Friday, May 16, 2008

It's Rhubarb Time

Rhubarb is one the harbingers of spring and one of those seasonal items that makes this time of year special. We don't have rhubard growing in the back yard, but this past week we took a trip out to Columbus Flea Market in western Jersey and in the Amish bakery they were selling rhubarb for a dollar a bunch. I had my wife buy some so we could make some rhubarb bars, a recipe we picked up while we were living in Pennsylvania during my seminary days. I think you'll like it.

Rhubarb Bars

Crust:

1 1/3 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup butter

Combine ingredients and press into a 9x13 cake pan.

Filling:

2 cups sugar
1/3 cup flour
2 eggs
3 cups chopped rhubard

Mix the filling, spoon into the crust and bake for 45 minutes at 350.

3 comments:

Maggie said...

I just got some good looking rhubarb at the farmer's market yesterday and then was thinking I'm feeling too lazy to make pie. This sounds like a great alternative!

Unknown said...

Let me know how it turns out!

Maggie said...

These were really good and took no time at all to make. I added the seeds from a vanilla bean to the filling and substituted the margarine we use for the butter. Here's a picture of the bars.