Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Spinach Salad with Fresh Citrus and Pecans


I have a boatload of fresh spinach from the garden my vegetarian son maintains in our backyard. I was looking for a spinach salad recipe and came across this one from Taste of Home via Foodbuzz. I didn't have all the ingredients so I adapted it with what I had on hand and it came out very well. My vegetarian son gave it two thumbs up. I used the Taste of Home dressing recipe but added the juice from the fresh citrus I substituted for the mandarin oranges. I also substituted pecans for the almonds and skipped the sugaring step. I omitted the romaine and substituted shallots for the green onions. Give it try. I hope you enjoy it.

Spinach Salad w/ Fresh Citrus and Pecans

7 cups fresh spinach washed with tough stems removed.
2 fresh oranges, supremed
1 fresh grapefruit, supremed
(reserve juice from citrus)
3/4 cups pecans
2 minced shallots

Dressing

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup white vinegar
reserved juice from citrus
2 tablespoons fresh parsley
3/4 teaspoon salt

Combine all ingredients for the dressing and whisk until sugar dissolves and dressing is well blended.

Combine all the salad ingredients. Pour dressing on salad until spinach leaves are just coated. Serve reserved dressing with the salad for those who like more.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds divine...love citrus in salads...as my website will attest!! I'll be trying this one!
Thanks